[pianotech] Retrofitting a Steinway w/adjustable back action

Jude Reveley (Absolute Piano) juderev at verizon.net
Fri Jun 26 11:05:27 MDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <rnossaman at cox.net>
To: <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2009 11:11 AM
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Retrofitting a Steinway w/adjustable back action

> David Love wrote:
>> Also, how did you handle inserting the hex screws where the sostenuto cut
>> out is.  I find when making a new tray that I have to minimize the cutout in
>> that area.  Did you have to build it back out or did you have room to insert
>> them.
>

> I built them back out. With the monkey guides still in,
> there's not much to work with.
> Ron N

Just a thought.You might try adding some veneer to the sides of the monkey to hold the leaf spring/monkey in place. Then just ditch the monkey guides  altogether so the cut out can be appropraitely minimized. I haven't tried adding this feature yet but I like this method of having the adjustment on the tray rather than the underlevers (as on some new pianos)where they tend to increase the damper noise.Nice job, Ron.

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
www.absolute-piano.com