[pianotech] Simon and Garfunkel Piano

Brian Wilson pianocare2 at bigpond.com
Fri Jun 26 20:45:20 MDT 2009

I tuned a late production New York model B (strange serial number, just the
numbers 81) for Simon and Garfunkel last night (last of three concerts here
in Sydney). All the usual problems re the break, but the regulation was
nothing short of a total disgrace. There was nothing there in the way of
hammer alignment or burning angle, and the hammers were way too soft to
develop a tonal palate suitable for a performance instrument. Each day the
tuning went sharp in the tenor. I haven't seen a late New York B before, but
it left me underwhelmed.

Ron O.

Hi Ron

I have thought about your comments over the last few days and although my
first and gut instinct was to do nothing, I have now decided to change my
mind. I consider your comments to be unprofessional, and it had nothing to
do with the subject of key levelling.  I don't believe that Chugg
Productions or the American crew would be happy with your post.

For the record, I tuned the piano for S&G for the Wednesday and Thursday
concerts in Brisbane. The piano arrived on Wednesday from New Zealand, and
it was not on pitch, nor was there any resemblance of it being in tune. I
thought to myself that the cargo doors must have been left open on the B747.
The piano was tuned Wednesday lunchtime. At 1900 I got back on the stage for
the tuning. It was about 440.5 and again had no musicality in the tuning. I
went through the tuning twice and I delayed the doors until 1945, in which
10 000 people were trying to get to their seat by 2000hrs. I was told by the
American crew that the piano had to be perfect. And no excuses. I did the
best I could considering the circumstances and the air conditioning duct
blowing directly on the piano. On Thursday night the piano was 441hz. So
perhaps the tuning instability was due to the travel and climate. I stayed
for the show on Thursday, and although I did the best I could, I was not
entirely happy with my tuning. However the client, that is the people who
payed me were. The American crew were also happy, and I got a big thank you
from the musical director. They had fun with "appearing on stage tonight..
Brian Wilson, Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel". At the end of the Brisbane
show, the show was packed up and moved to Sydney via truck. Brisbane was
having its coldest night of the year when the show finished, and I might
consider that to be part of the tuning problems.

I hope my tuning met with some approval with you, but I think you should be
lucky you didn't hear the piano when it first arrived.

Regards

Brian