[pianotech] Piano Key Leveling

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 27 11:39:17 MDT 2009

Keith,
Forgive me if I was sounding to be the devil's advocate. I was simply stating that techs at the  Steinway factory have various opinions on this topic. After all of the reading and talking to the techs within the factory, I'm more convinced this practice was rooted in settling and appearance.
My attitude is if you want to crown, go for it. If you want a straight level, go for it. As long as you get an even regulation throughout....what's the difference. If you did a side-by-side test ( with all things being equal) I doubt very much you could distinguish any noticeable difference.
My 3 cents
Tom Servinsky