[pianotech] Simon and Garfunkel

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Jun 28 09:38:30 MDT 2009

Dear Brian:

I have re-read Jude Reveley's post after reading your reply below.  As best
I can gather from this distance, you seem to be a first rate and well
qualified concert technician.  But I think you are being hypersensitive and
reading things into Jude's comments that are simply not there and are not
even implied.

While Jude's use of language could perhaps have been more precisely framed,
I don't think he was trying to insult you or make an aspersion as to the
level of your abilities.  When he speaks of "your expected scope", I think
he means "your" in the plural sense, as including all piano technicians
(including you), who find themselves on a concert stage with a lot to do and
not enough time - and not you in the specific sense. I have the pleasure of
knowing Jude personally and, if he has a mean bone in his body, I haven't
seen it.  It's just not in his character to deliberately insult others in a
public forum. So I was surprised by the depth of your reaction.

If you continue to participate in the forum (and I hope you will), you will
find that what started out as one topic can evolve and mutate into another
as the thread proceeds, and that this happens regularly. So Ron is hardly
the only one amongst us who leads or follows the thread down another path.
Most of us are guilty of that sin at one time or another. And none of us are
talking about Simon and Garfunkel either, are we?  :-)

It is your policy to "not bag a piano over a chat page".  Fair enough.  And
you believe that others should likewise restrain themselves.  Also, fair
enough.  But, alas, I don't think it is quite that simple.  It is certainly
appropriate to comment on the condition of a piano, we do it all the time on
this forum.  When does a comment become a complaint?  Should we never
complain about the condition of a piano, or are there times when it is
appropriately topical on a technical forum such as this?

I don't think that you "don't know shit from clay", and I have trouble
thinking of anyone on this forum who does think that.

I also think it is important for each of us to separate challenges in the
arena of ideas from attacks on persons.  This forum works best when we
confine our debate to the merits of ideas and avoid giving offense to the
other person.  That involves all of us endeavoring to craft intelligent and
diplomatic responses.  And it involves careful reading (and rereading) by
the receiver of such comments, so as to not reply in haste and
misunderstanding.  Sometimes we take offense where none was given.

So I say, lighten up, Brian.  It's not that bad, really.

Respectfully yours,

Will Truitt