[pianotech] The value of a customer list?

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Mar 1 03:52:33 PST 2009

Hi Dianne,

I have an experience to share, maybe it will be of value. During about my second year in business, an olderly local long-time tech passed away suddenly. His widow wished to sell his business. I bought it as I was new in the business and was eager to expand my customer base.

The tech's son added up the service sales for the past year. I paid 50 cents on the dollar of the past year's sales for his box of 3x5 cards (client name, phone, address and piano service history) and a letter of introduction sent by his widow to each customer in his database ("I wish to introduce you to Terry who will do a fine job taking over services for my husbands piano clients.....").

I found that the arrangement worked well for me because I had the need to expand my customer base AND I could easily absorb the additional work - he was semi-retired and only did $10K of service work the previous year. Looking back on the arrangement, if anything, IMHO, the price I paid was a little on the high side as about 2/3 his client base scheduled appointments with me.

If I was more established or his business was larger, his business may have been of less value to me. IMHO, a business of this nature is worth less than some may think - maybe somewhere in the 25 to 50 cents on the dollar would be closer to actual value.

Hope this helps.

Terry Farrell