[pianotech] key problem

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 1 20:22:46 PST 2009

Pressing the damper pedal while diagnosing friction problems is the best way to find them.  If the key stays down, that is an indication of too much friction, or a hammer spring is broken/unhooked.  See that the key is moving freely.  If the hammer returns to the rest rail slowly, but the key and wippen move simultaneously, it's the hammer flange.  If the hammer returns quickly, with a little bounce, but pressing the pedal makes it hang up, it's the wippen flange