[pianotech] Key Problem

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 1 20:43:13 PST 2009

Sorry, I hit the send button before I was finished with my reply.
If there is one key that is having a problem, chances are there will be others too..  Push the sustain pedal down and hold it.  Then move the una-corda pedal (left pedal) and see if the hammers remain tight to the rest rail as you move it.    You will see them coming off the rail if you have hammer flange problems.  If the hammers are moving freely, and the keys still stick while using the damper pedal, it is more likely to be the wippen flanges or key bushings.
The key to diagnosing problems like this is to be observant of every movement of the action.  You'll soon be able to spot problems before they make themselves known (like sluggish action parts).  Note the time of year, with humidity swings and all that, and you can see that the sluggish key today becomes a stuck key next  week when the weather changes.

Good luck.

    Paul McCloud
    San Diego

pmc033 at earthlink.net