[pianotech] (..and birds!)

Raymond Irving rirvingbas2 at mac.com
Mon Mar 2 07:57:30 PST 2009

Hi list,

A while back I tuned for a friend, who happens to be a veterinary
assistant. She also owns several birds, of the talk and squawk
variety. My wife was along, having pleasant conversation in another
room, where the birds were caged. Using my trusty RCT, tuning was as
usual, and in fact sounding fine, till I moved to the treble and
worked my way up. The birds decided to “help”, by making sure I
focused on my aural skills. One in particular was able to mimic the
pitch I was playing exactly, but moved in half steps all the way to
the top! That is, when I tuned a C, the bird learned that, and
continued to sing C when I moved on to C#. C# to D, etc., ALL the way
up.To add to the frustration, the girls were in hysterics in the other
room. Who knew tuning could be so amusing! I was ready to give the
birds a nice bath in olive oil and basil, but didn't. Oh, it's funny
NOW...

Raymond Irving

P.S. Ron N., thanks for the cat photo.