[pianotech] Miking a piano

phil at emvkeys.ca phil at emvkeys.ca
Mon Mar 2 11:10:10 PST 2009

for recording or sound reinforcement?

for live, although I don't like the sound, a condenser mic tight into a
plate hole is pretty good with not bad isolation / feedback rejection.
If that's problematic, try different plate holes or even close to the
sound board from underneath, try various locations. Sometimes a dynamic
instrument mic alone or in combination can help to "warm up" a nasty
sounding club piano.

for recording, try various good quality condenser mics in various
positions until you ear tells you that the piano is best represented.
"close mic'ing usually won't do a quality piano justice. Allow as much
distance as track isolation will allow.

ymmv

Phil

--

  /Artist Piano Care/
E X C E L L E N C E ~ F I N E LY  T U N E D

web: www.artistpianocare.ca
    tel: 416-907-3562
    cel: 905-626-3727
   phil at artistpianocare.ca