[pianotech] Key Rep Bottoms Out

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 3 09:05:02 PST 2009

Hello list,

I regulated a Baldwin Grand recently and all seemed fine.  There are now however, a few keys that bottom out on moderately and very fast repetition of key.  Meaning the key goes down you get a few repetitions and then it just sits on top of the punching and will not respond unless you very clearly lift the finger allowing the hammer to return.  I have tried a few things:

1.  adjusted dip

2.  adjusted blow up and down

3.  adjusted let off (just curious what would happen)

4.  raised and lowered whippen height.

5.  checked key bushings

None of these things worked.  I am now considering that the jack is too far back (toward pianist) and is not slipping back under the hammer enough on repeated rapid blows but is position enough for standard playing - if that makes sense?  The knuckles are new and there has been no teflon powder applied to them or the jack top.

I am going to get my model out and play with a few jack adjustments but thought I might get some opinions here as well.

Thanks,

Steven Hopp