[pianotech] Expanding Action Brackets

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Tue Mar 3 18:37:58 PST 2009

 I just replaced my first set of expanded Young Chang action brackets today,
and I owe a huge debt of gratitude to this list for all the information
about the matter.

First off, it was a 1991 Weber, which I had not realized was made by YC
until a posting I read here a few months back.  Then, Bruce Dornfeld's
chapter newsletter column that he posted here summarized all the information
I needed to complete the job. (Except I forgot about the longer screws and
had to run to the hardware store before I could re-attach the stack to the
keyframe... and, um, I tightened all the rail-to-bracket screws before I got
the brackets screwed back to the keyframe, too. But I had made a neat
112.5mm / 113.5mm gauge.)

I thought I'd post a few pictures I took along the way to demonstrate, for
those who have not seen it, how radical a thing this is (at least it was to
me!)  The first pic compares old/new center brackets... notice the broken
toe on the old one, presumably from the expansion(?). The second is old/new
end brackets. Third is the same, except with the broken piece removed from
the end bracket. Fourth is after new brackets are installed and after I've
roughed in blow distance on the white keys. Finally, the fifth pic shows the
action back in the piano. The drop screws easily clear the pinblock, whereas
they scraped the bottom of the pinblock on the way out!

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN