[pianotech] OT vacuum press/vacuum clamping system

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Mar 5 11:43:05 PST 2009

Some sort of hand pump may give you a vacuum, but unless the adhesive you are using sets in minutes, you're gonna have one sore hand. The pump I bought was the smallest vacuum pump I could find - and it is all I need. I did a laminated soundboard panel for a 7' Bluthner - big bag - and that pump worked just fine.

As far as the bag goes, like I said, the place I get mine from make custom sizes. For the bag for that 7' panel I had them make both ends open for easy access. They have a very easy to use positive sealing system on their bags. Don't get bags with a zip-lock-type seal - I tried those initially, and found that dust and wood chips get in there and render the seal useless. The offer thick bags (if I remember, 2 or 3 mm) vinyl or something better. I don't use the bags daily, so I just went with the thin vinyl - the cheapest they had - I've had them a couple years now and have run dozens of pinblocks and rib slabs through them without ever getting a leak (oops, just one leak, but I patched it very easily).

I also have the venturi pump on the same page as my pump, but rarely use it because it requires the compressor to run all the time.

What's nomex?

Terry Farrell