[pianotech] Capo Bars

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Thu Mar 5 14:01:37 PST 2009

Ok. Substitute "measurable" for "significant". We are talking alpha-brass,
less than 34% zinc. Lesser brasses are not used for agraffes to my knowledge.

In a message dated 3/5/2009 3:39:54 P.M. Central Standard Time,
JD at Pianomaker.co.uk writes:

At 11:06  -0500 5/3/09, PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com wrote:

>There is a mythology  here that begs correction. Brass is not
>"self-lubricating". There is  no "lubricity" to it at all. There is a
>significantly lower friction  coefficient between brass and steel
>than between cast iron and steel  particularly because of the
>different galling characteristics of  them.

It depends what you mean by "significant".  So far as I can  see, the
coefficients of friction hard steel/brass and hard steel/cast  iron
are not very far apart.  The coefficient for steel/steel is far
higher than either.  For copper-lead alloy or leaded bronze the
coefficient is really significantly lower.

But it is no use going  simply by the figures in engineers' handbooks.
The slightest amount of  lubrication will greatly alter the friction
coefficient, and the behaviour  of each pair of metals needs to be
measured under lab conditions to arrive  at any useful figures.
Besides, there is not one single composition for  the "brass" alloy.

One thing seems to be certain, and that is that  steel, and especially
hardened steel, is a bad option unless it is  lubricated.  Brass or
cast iron unlubricated have behaved to most  people's satisfaction
since the 1850s, with cast iron, in practice, being  better, since
there is not a sudden change from static to sliding  friction.

For a capo bar I would prefer solid bronze containing the  optimum
lead content.  I'm no great lover of Bösendorfers but in this  regard
I like their choice.

JD

Some useful general  information and tables can bee seen  here:
<http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Tribology/co_of_frict.htm>

steps!
%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)