[pianotech] First hammer job - considerations

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 5 15:19:05 PST 2009

Nicely noted, BR.

On my U1, also a vertical, I have replaced the original hammers with Abel natural hammers, and am very happy with the result. No more monthly voicing.
In some ways hanging vertical hammers is trickier than hanging grand hammers. If the butts and flanges are in good shape, one approach is to remove and replace every other hammer, let dry and align carefully to the original hammers, then remove and replace the other hammers. let them dry and align to the first group of hammers.
Use Titebond Trim and Moulding glue. It will soften with heat from a heat gun, and give you a chance to fix your mistakes.
The Abel suppliers should be able to bore the hammers to Yamaha specs.

Ed Sutton