[pianotech] First hammer job - considerations

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 6 16:23:16 PST 2009

Comprehensive knowledge of hammer replacement for vertical pianos is quite complicated. For example, you can replace just the hammers, or the hammers and shanks, or the hammers, shanks and butts, or the hammers, shanks, butts and flanges. There are several different kinds of butts and flanges, some very easy to work with, such as the ones with the butt plates at the center pin. Loosen the plate and the butt comes free of the flange, which can stay on the rail.

Julia should be aware that a simple hammer replacement on a U-3 is just the first step. Another piano might need a different approach. See Spurlock's site, and search back issues of the Journal or get the reprint books.

Ed S.

(Again I apologize for the blank posts. Windows Vista has unpredictable slowdowns. The reply and send buttons come up in the same place. Just when it seems the program has slowed down, I click on reply, which changes to send just in time to send a blank message.)