[pianotech] Starck was Re: hazelton grand

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Sat Mar 7 09:39:58 PST 2009

Tom

I understand that Starck weren't the greatest of instruments, but they have a special place in my heart.

Back in 1955, my mother's aunt, who had moved to the United States in the mid '20's, came for a visit. She wound up sponsoring my parents, sister and me to move to the Chicago area, where she got my dad a job with the Starck Piano Company. The reason he got a job at?Starck was because my aunt was the personal nurse for Mr. PA Starck. My dad started out installing dampers. Before my dad died I asked him if there was a way for me to know which pianos he had worked on, and he told me he put his initials on the damper rails.
?
So when you run across a Starck spinet or console made between 1956 and 1960, take a look at the damper rail??When you?see the initials WCB, that will be a special piano. ?

On a side note. When he was working on these pianos, he would take home extra damper blocks. I eventually inherited?3 small boxes of them, and still had some left when I?sold all my tools, parts, etc. when I came to Hawaii.?

Wim

PS. Hazelton grands are very good pianos. I rebuilt one when I was still in St. Louis.