[pianotech] Erwins Key dip guage

Steve Blasyak atuneforyou at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 12:54:35 PST 2009

Hey Now to Dale and all list dwellers,

I know this thread has long past (at least a few days), but I've been behind
on my list reading since the Ca convention. I bought a key dip gauge from
Jurgen, not sure if its Dales or not but definitely the same concept. I
asked Jurgen about a ten mm dip gauge and he said he was working on it. Mine
measures .374 or 3/8's.

So after reading many emails related to this thread I was anxious to go out
and try it. Besides I wanted to apply many of the tricks and techniques I
had learned about regulation at the convention..

Being the patient was a Kawai I started adding strips of masking tape to
achieve a ten mil dip with my new gauge. I got to 9.8 mm and was thinking
ahhhhh close enough. Then I remembered David Anderson prefers a 10.2 or 10.3
dip (I think). So one more strip of tape and tada!!!!! 10.2 on the money. I
love my new dip thingy. Especially for quick checks to see if your in the
ball park, and definitely much easier and faster on the sharps.

Now for my question to Dale and the group. It appears that the gauge is
designed to measure right at the key pin true? The reason I ask this is that
I know using a dip block you can come up with different readings depending
on where the dip block is placed on the key.

I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate the Pomona Valley Chapter
with a big assist from the La Chapter for putting on a great convention.

Steve Blasyak
Orange County Chapter

Pura Vida