[pianotech] Aural tuning question

Duaine & Laura Hechler dahechler at att.net
Sat Mar 7 21:28:39 PST 2009

Maybe, I need to get to basics for this question.

I am a barbershop singer, so I have a sense of what a 3rd, 5th, m7th,
octave sounds like.

Now, assume for the sake of this question, a non musical person that has
absolutely no other training and talent, wants to be a piano tuner.

Without the aid of a ETD and has no concept of note relations (3rds,
5ths, etc), how is he expected to learn aural tuning ? And learn it well
enough to pass the tests ?

I don't see any other choice for this person to use an ETD - and - never
be able to pass the test - so - how does he get to be an RPT?

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 10 years