[pianotech] Aural tuning question

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 8 05:53:13 PDT 2009

Duane,

it´s not so difficult like you assume. At least it´s not impossible. Remember the times when there were no ETD´s.

E.g., a colleague of mine who made the apprenticeship together with me was totaly unmusical and had no idea about intervals. Even he learned it somehow after beeing told what intervals are and sound like. Okay, his tunings were not so good and after the apprenticeship he quit the job and made an apprenticeship as aircraft mechanician (btw, he can´t fly). But he passed the aural exam after 3.5 years.

Dave Davis wrote that remembering a certain song is helpful for remembering the intervals. I totaly agree. For the beginning you basically need only the octave, fifth and fourth and for control purposes the third. A collegue of mine who never played any instrument makes really good
tunings. He just tunes with octaves, fourth and fifth. He does not
check the thirds. At least this is what he did some years ago. Maybe he
refined his technique now, but even that method worked well for him. You can tune unisons by ear? Great, the rest is just training.

Back to your question about aural pitch raising: it´s a great opportunity to train aural tuning. Just because you don´t have to work exactly. Scamping around is allowed and usefull. Forget about contiguous thirds and neglect overpull for the beginning. Just set A4 by fork (or ETD), tune A3 as the octave and then start to tune fifth up and fourth down until the circle is closed and the temperament is done. Then go down in octaves and check the fifth and fourth as control. When the bass is done, do the same up to the treble. Because you neglected overpull you have to do the pitch raise a second time. Great, just another opportunity to practice ;-)

Gregor