[pianotech] Tunic Onlypure Tuner

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 8 06:03:34 PDT 2009

There continues to be some confusion about OnlyPure being equated with a P-12ths tuning.

I posted this over on the college and university tech list (caut):

Let's follow the <thin> clues we have so far.

1. Stopper has stated that his tuning is NOT a P-12ths tuning.

2. I've experimented with P-12ths tunings, they don't seem appropriate for many types of pianos. (edit - especially smaller ones)

3.  Kent stated that he's tried the OnlyPure on many types of pianos and the tuning "worked" for all of them. (edit again - even the small ones)

4. Stopper's definition of "pure" is not the same as the traditional tuner's nomenclature of a partial match.  (something about where the sum of beats of all relevant partial matches of octave and octave-fifth are at a minimum...)

This last one is important - it puts to rest the idea of just tuning via two partials - the fundamental (1) of the top note of a 12th matched with the third partial (3) of the bottom note - for a 3:1 match.  Likewise, it's not a 2:1 or a 4:2 or a 6:3... match of a single octave with a particular amount of stretch added. (more like how most of the current electronic gear handles the tuning puzzle.)

This would seem to suggest that when tuning a note going up, the 2:1, 3:1, 4:2, 6:3, and 6:2 beats would be considered for the placement where the sum of all of those beats are at a minimum...  (not sure how many partial matches are actually used for the software)

Interesting...

Ron Koval