[pianotech] Tunic Onlypure Tuner

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 14:42:27 PDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 6:43 AM, Richard Brekne <ricb at pianostemmer.no> wrote:

>   Also, I'm thinking this out loud.  I've heard that in Europe tuners
>   prefer to tune more narrow octaves than we do here in the States.   Is
> this true?  If so, I've a sneaking suspicion that what Stopper
>   might have done is simply expand everything from what is the normal
>   in Europe. Any chance of this being the case?  In other words,
>   instead of tuning 2:1 or 4:2 octaves for the temperament octave, his
>   octave is between 4:2 and 6:3. Granted, he would have arrived at
>   this by mathematical means, and I certainly applaud him for doing so!
>
> I am not aware of any such tendency.  Stretch discussions are rampant here
> as well as anywhere else. In any-case  Stoppers work on the mathematics
> behind this and the basic concept of  P-12ths as a tuning priority has
> nothing to do with simply expanding on what otherwise is normal.

OK. That's great to put my misinformation to rest.

> I think everyone agrees that 2:1 octaves are only good at the very top....
> so there is no fundamental disagreement on that point. Nobody I know here in
> Europe does that. There IS a good deal of talk about not stretching the
> tuning...  but these folks who talk about that are not thinking in terms of
> coincident partials... and really don't understand that vocabulary at all.
> They speak of a "natural stretch" which ends up always equating to some
> resultant stretch based on some or another standard octave priority set of
> aural tuning  tests.

One of the sounds on my Yamaha Motif synth/keyboard has a Yamaha S7 (I think
that's the model #). The treble on the piano that was recorded is so badly
tuned that I just can't play it. It is nasty sounding in the treble.  I've
thought to record some octaves and post it here, but haven't taken time to
do that yet.  So I was wondering if that might be the type of tuning that is
done outside the States.

Hope this didnt get too long... but you put a lot of things on the table for
> comment :)

Thanks, Ric.
--
JF