[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Mar 8 15:29:45 PDT 2009

Hi Folks..

Reading downwards in the link I supplied to John  ie.
http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech_ptg.org/2009-March/005286.html one
finds the following Stopper quote

    "Since it has been found that mathematical pure octaves does not
    produce the aural feel of a pure octave, but a slightly stretched
    octave will do that, the philosophic importance of this tuning is
    that the old  pythagorean tuning is transformed directly into this
    tuning by simply replacing the "mathematical pure" octaves by "aural
    pure" octaves."

Personally I find this compares very favorably with Virgil Smiths
descriptions of the beatless octave. Just thought I'd throw this out
there for thought... especially for those of you who adhere to his
(Virgil's) tuning style. Think abit about the aural tests you use and
put them in the perspective of the present discussion....

Interesting.

Cheers
RicB