[pianotech] String Leveling question

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Sun Mar 8 19:24:19 PDT 2009

Hi David,

To answer your first question ("What, ideally, should bi- and tri-cord
level be parallel to?  keybed? stretcher? plate?  top of
agraffe....?"), I would say, to the top, or striking surface of the
hammer.  The point of string leveling is to ensure that the hammer
strikes all strings at the same instant.  That is why, while leveling
strings, we use a tool or a technique to bring the hammer lightly into
steady contact with the strings, and pluck the strings to discover
which strings are higher or lower.

If the hammers are excellently filed and hung (and if capstans have
been trimmed carefully to form a good hammer line), then their
striking surfaces each will create little line segments that all fall
in the same plane (within each section).  Of course, if the hammers
have been poorly sanded or hung, sighting across the hammer line from
the side will reveal any hammer striking surfaces that are not
parallel to the horizon and that are not coplanar with their
neighbors.  If such a circumstance is found, then it is most advisable
to fix the problem in the action before leveling strings (remedial
action might include softening or breaking glue joints to realign the
hammer, burning shanks, and/or re-filing the hammer).

I guess my basic point is that, when the hammer striking surface is
very well prepared, then the string level tool will help you to level
strings quickly and accurately by matching the level top of the hammer
with a level pair or group of three strings.  Conversely, If the
hammer striking surface is not well prepared, then it won't matter
what surface you use the tool to level the strings to - they'll still
sound bad with zingy, whiny open strings and poor sounding unisons,
and the tool won't have helped you to accomplish anything useful.

Even after you prepare the hammer line very well, and use the string
level tool very well, it would still be highly advisable to check the
mating of each individual note manually (quoting from my first
paragraph "use a tool or a technique to bring the hammer lightly into
steady contact with the strings, and pluck the strings to discover
which strings are higher or lower").  After all, the goal is not to
make them look nice;  it is to make them sound great!

I'll skip your second question.

To answer your third question ("How many times (at which points) do
strings get leveled after stringing?"), the answer is, it depends.
Everyone will give a different answer.  One of the very finest concert
tuners I know levels strings at nearly 100% of his tunings, and I
really do mean on Whitney spinets, tiny and dreadful Brambachs and the
like, as well as on big Steinways.  At the other end of the spectrum,
I'm sorry to say that some tuners may go an entire career without
leveling a single string.  Naturally, I wouldn't want such tuners to
ever touch my instrument or one on which I was to give a concert.  For
me, I will usually level strings when I hear the "unlevelness" while
tuning for a professional musician, piano teacher, fine amateur
player, or for a concert.  If I'm tuning a spinet that is 200 cents
flat, and was just moved out of grandma's garage for Junior to start
lessons on, I probably won't bother, as the piano probably has much
more significant problems which should be addressed first.  Even in
that circumstance, though, If the "whininess" of a string is really
bugging me and my schedule permits, I might still level a string or
two.  So what if Junior will never notice - I did, and I have to
satisfy myself first.

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh