[pianotech] String Leveling question

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Sun Mar 8 20:46:01 PDT 2009

Don,

Yes, leveling cleans up the sound -- a lot, which is why I like to do
it.  But...

I had to go back 75 miles the same day after I leveled strings on a C7
before tuning. One treble wire dropped considerably, making one note
unplayable.

Maybe I was too aggressive, but clearly pulling up a wire puts tension
into all the non-speaking lengths.  I didn't pound that note in well
enough, and when it equalized during play, the speaking length went
sharp -- a lot.

Live and learn...

--Cy--