[pianotech] Aural tuning question HEARING Stuff

Mark McQuade mmcquade at usfamily.net
Mon Mar 9 11:38:38 PDT 2009

Hi - Being a non German speaker myself, I was afraid to click on any of the numerous links.  But then I remembered that I had downloaded an "Ear Training" program a few years ago, which sadly, I haven't used.  It has different levels of exercises to train you to be able to hear and identify intervals. This discussion has prompted me to start committing some time to that training.

You can find a video overview of that program at http://www.playpianotoday.com/piano-lessons_ear_training_101-video.html     It runs close to 10 minutes and provides a good lesson in how to use the program. He even uses Julia's Here Comes the Bride example.  Click on the "back one page" link to get to the homepage for info on downloading the program.  There is a free version and a paid version.  (The paid version is only $9.95)  I don't remember paying for mine and couldn't find a description on the site of the difference between the two, (maybe it has timeouts like Tunelab) but even if you have to spend the 10 bucks I think it's well worth it especially for someone like me, whose only musical abilities are that of being able to listen to and enjoy good music.  Someday I'd like to become more of a participant rather than just a spectator.

Mark