[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 19:49:49 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:13 PM, William Monroe <bill at a440piano.net> wrote:

> I have found the practice of listening musically to be extremely helpful in
>> tuning. It sounds so much more pleasing and satisfying ... musically.  This
>> is not to say that I never use my skills of listening directly at various
>> coincident partials. I frequently do, and I am thankful that I spent the
>> time in training my ear to listen there.
>>

> This phrasing I have difficulty with.  I don't know any technicians of
> value who do not listen to their tunings musically.  The end-game of all
> tuning is ultimately, "but, does it sound good?"   Too frequently I hear
> some technicians use this "listening musically" phrasing as an excuse for
> poor tunings.  I've had a couple in particular suggest for example that
> having parallel thirds jumping all over in an intended ET tuning is just
> fine, and that "I'm listening as a technician, not a musician."  Well, yeah,
> and musically there are problems with this tuning.  And to be clear, I do
> not claim to be anything other than adequate at my tuning skills.  These are
> really basic errors I'm speaking of.
>
> To be clear, I KNOW that this is not what you are saying, but I think the
> phrasing gets hijacked for lesser purposes.

Ah, I can see where there could be confusion here.

In the "listening musically" above, I do not primarily refer to the setting
of an equal temperament.  There is no room for error in ET.  (And I do know
the difference.)

What I mean in the above is how Virgil taught in his classes. I won't repeat
the particulars, as they've been discussed here often. I listen musically
mainly to octaves -- but also double octaves, octave fifths (12ths), double
octave-fifths (19ths), and triple octaves.  But it's mainly in the octave
itself, 'cause if you tune great octaves, everything else generally works
quite well. And I utilize tests all the time -- to prove a P12 or triple
octave ... I test what my ear is hearing. Yes, with the same tests that one
uses to verify coincident partials -- cause that's what causes the beats,
Paul <G>.

But it's different when you're tuning unisons as you go. Much fuller and
richer ... if you do it right.  And I'm not trying anymore to listen to an
isolated pair of partials -- to put 4:2 octaves in this region, then blend
to 2:1 at F6, and 6:3 octaves in the upper bass, etc.  I'm listening for the
big picture, for everything I can hear as the sounds blend together to
produce that sweetest spot. I try to take it all in, forgetting about
partial pairs, and listening for how music will sound.  And if you do that,
the piano tells you how it's supposed to be tuned.

I'm assuming David Andersen teaches the same thing as Virgil, though I
haven't yet had the opportunity to attend one of his classes.  I did observe
him while he was tuning his B at Rochester. I think it's safe to say we're
on the same page.  I don't have his personality or panache, but I can still
feel the vibes, brother D. <G>

--
JF