[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Mar 9 23:28:13 PDT 2009

Hi William and others.

Nice stuff... sorry bout the rest.... seems to never go away.. but let
go.  I have to agree with the below... I like to think in terms of
coincident partials when trying to describe things tuning wise...
phrases like beatless octave and aurally perfect octaves require me to
think out of my own box...which I can do... but its clear that a lot of
confusion gets stirred up as too many start mixing vocabularies.

So what do we call what Virgil refers to as the beatless octave and now
surfaces anew in the term aurally pure ? Can we put a name on it... or
do we have to use phrases like you touch on below ?

Cheers
RicB

    No problem with any of this.  I agree wholeheartedly.  And, as long
    as you continue to phrase things such: "sense of beatlessness", or,
    "perceived beatlessness," I could accept it.  But I think it would
    be better phrased with regards to cleanliness than beat speeds, e.g.
    trying to tune an octave or dbl octave so that the combination of
    coincident partials sound "as clean as possible."