[pianotech] Clarification on P-12ths

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 04:34:26 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Richard Brekne <ricb at pianostemmer.no> wrote:

<Snip>

> I remember Ron Koval (I think it was)  immediately shot a hole in my first
> attempt at a 12ths temperament region pointing out that I'd simply taken the
> 19th root of 3 and increasing each successive note from and including D3 to
> A4. The hole was obvious enough... it resulted in a straight line instead of
> the familiar curve.  So I devised a way of using Tunelab 97's tuning curve
> editor to address that.

<Snip>

> Cheers
> Richard Brekne

Ric:

I am hoping that you can educate me on this. I take it that the error
you mention is more than using the 19th root of 3 instead of the 19th
root of the 3rd partial of D3 divided by the 1st partial of D3. I have
no experience with ETDs, but I understand math.

Is it because the 3rd partial of A4 divided by the 1st partial of A4
does not equal the 3rd partial of D3 divided by the 1st partial of D3?
This would also brings into question the 4:5 beat ratio of contiguous
major thirds….

If this is too complicated to explain on the list, could you recommend
any books? I would only be interested in ones that really explain the
math, not just another “how to tune” book.

--
Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.