[pianotech] recent order

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr at srvinet.com
Tue Mar 10 08:55:12 PDT 2009

Hi David, and list (hope this not too commercial)
Long day leveling strings yesterday.
BTW discovered something yesterday you might be interested in.
The piano was a K&C or Remington (same plate) that has an extended
shelf over the tenor strings all the way up to the end of the dampers.
It also has 4 wound unisons on the tenor break that must be leveled
with the action out and pushing up against the string to raise or pulling
down to lower.
My string lifter #313 is great for this with the addition of a 1/4" drive
hex handle
to give you extra holding power, #400 ( under hex tools)
It is a bit awkward to work on these strings as one must take care not to
lift
against the winding on the wire. One needs to place the grooved end of the
lifter on the string where you can see that it is on the correct string
andbring the
tool back to where you feel the smooth surface of the core wire,  and then
push up.

After leveling these 8 strings and realizing that I really did not like the
idea of the kink
one can put in the wire by lifting so far out on the speaking length, (Don
Mannino's tool
helps ease this problem) I decided to do all of the tenor by this method.
And when past the dampers my back was still holding up so to 88 I went.

One thing that might be a caution to watch for. In pushing the string down
from above
and milking the string (rubbing) one needs to milk away from the damper head
never toward it.
Also a quick way to save the back is to bloch the dampers up with anything
handy that will fit
between the L safety stop on most newer pianos, or any thing you can in
others.

In mating the hammers to the mated strings, one needs a well regulated let
off at no more than 1/8"
A thin strip of 1/8" felt, stick of soft white chalk, and method of removing
felt from the area of the
string that is blocking when you raise the hammer up to the string and
pluck. I use #322.
The bass hammers can sometimes be raised too far blocking the jack this way,
so the use of a ruler
or some other long object to press the hammers down will prevent damage and
keep the tops of the
hammers clean.
Becuase it is already on the piano for a different use in voicing I use #336
Hope this answers some of your questions.

Mother always accepts PayPal

Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr at srvinet.com