[pianotech] Key dip to blow ratio

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Tue Mar 10 13:18:52 PDT 2009

Lee,

I concur with Jerry. The 9.2mm of key end travel come from the 47 - 1 = 46;
and 46 / 5 = 9.2mm. Then 10.5 - 9.2 = 1.3mm

Better not to think of the 52.5 as blow distance. The 52.5mm represents the
total "hammer rise" relative to dip and action ratio. If you were to remove
the let-off button you would see the hammer rise to its full extent.

Regards

Nick Gravagne, RPT

Piano Technicians Guild

Member Society Manufacturing Engineers