[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 10 18:00:09 PDT 2009

Mark-

As I recall you have a 7 foot Schimmel. My experience is that certain pianos, including Schimmel grands, have octaves the just "click" into place. They tune easily as you describe.

I feel that discussions of "sweet spots," "pure octaves" and so on would be much more meaningful if people specified the pianos they are talking about. I can imagine a beginner desperately trying to tune this way on a 1980 Kohler and Campbell console, for example.

Ed S.