[pianotech] traveling

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Tue Mar 10 19:05:41 PDT 2009

The luggage compartment may be pressurized, and probably the same as "cabin
pressure."  But it's important to realize that a flight leaving an airport
at near sea level (Seattle, NYC, Miami, LA, etc.) will still undergo
considerable pressure differences. Prior to takeoff, cabin pressure altitude
will decrease, which is to say actual air pressure in the cabin will be
higher than it is right outside on the tarmac. During climb-out and cruise,
cabin pressure altitude increases, meaning that the volume of air in the
cabin (and luggage compartment) decreases, up to the point that when you're
cruising at 10,000 meters cabin pressure will be equivalent to around 2,200
- 2,400 meters.  At this pressure altitude, you don't need oxygen, even for
extended flight times, but the pressure differential between inside and
outside is less than if it were pressurized to sea level, which would
fatigue the airframe more rapidly.

I think just about everyone notices the pressure differences from sea level
to cruising altitude in their ears, but some people even notice the slight
pressurization prior to departure. I can feel the difference just driving up
the hill from the river to my house.

Point of all this being... if your toothpaste or hand lotion has ever flowed
out, or if the Titebond bottle looks puffed out after a trip from Seattle to
Denver, realize that it's doing that down there in the cargo hold, too. It
is a very good idea to bag everything in a bag that won't be dissolved if
your bottle contents (e.g. CA glue) leaks out.

I've also observed that flights from higher elevation fields, like Denver,
pressurize somewhat less, at least in the first portion of the flight...
i.e. en route cabin pressure altitude may be more like 2,500 or 2,600
meters. The good news is that of course they always equalize to outside
pressure prior to opening the doors.

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN