[pianotech] I'm interested in becoming a piano tuner/technician

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Tue Mar 10 23:29:35 PDT 2009

Tyler,

Please see these resources:
http://ptg.org/becomingATech.php

We need more technicians.  Just tuning pianos is orders of magnitudes
more complicated than tuning almost any other instrument short of a
pipe organ, and the repair side is also challenging.  It combines art,
science, as well as skills in business and customer relations.

The PTG is all about improving skills of technicians.  If there isn't
a local chapter near you, there are dozens of books you can refer to
on the PTG site, and seminars and other events you can attend, along
with full-time formal instruction.

Be prepared to give up something in order to gain something: your
time, effort, dollars.  Remember the first time you drove a car on
your own?  I do... I felt very comfortable after just a week or two,
but many years later, I know now how much I didn't know then.  To
stretch the analogy: have your skills tested before you put yourself
out as a driving instructor.

I trained at the North Bennet Street School, and I highly recommend
them.  For citizenship reasons it may be easier for you to go to the
U. of Western Ontario.  Find out what's there, and be prepared to
spend a lot of time perfecting your skills.

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
Registered Piano Technician
www.shusterpiano.com