[pianotech] pianotech Digest, Vol 5, Issue 130

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Wed Mar 11 01:24:06 PDT 2009

> Subject: [pianotech] Securing Pianos to the floor
>
> Esteemed Liszt,
> A client of mine oversees maintaining instruments on a ship.   He just
> wrote
> me asking: "Most of our pianos are secured with a cup-like caster.? The
> piano
> leg fits into this cup and the cup is secured to the floor of the ship.
> Where
> I could purchase more or something like it?"
>something like this / know where to procure?   Thanks! Jim Wilson
A number of years ago I served as navigator on a class II star cruiser in
the Delta Quadrant. To keep the piano secured to the bulkhead in the
captain's lounge we used an anti-grav harness which drew it's power directly
from the warp field generators. Even when encountering a level 5 ion storm
the piano stood fast. I'll admit there were a few times when we went through
some intense subspace interference on the outskirts of the Talagious-3
system, but the piano barely moved more then a few microns. I would highly
recommend using a portable gravitational flux field inducer, it's the only
way to reliably secure a piano on a ship.

I have no idea why this is funny, it must have something to do with the fact
that it's after 1:00 am and ST-Voyager just ended.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV