[pianotech] #2 Soundboard Wood

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Wed Mar 11 11:03:50 PDT 2009

Yes, I have. I have also seen a grand (the name of which I can't recall) that
used a modified form of tongue & groove butt joint and another that used finger
jointed butt joints. All within the vibrating portion of the panel and all
working well.

This subject is one I've been interested in for some time. I do not understand
the unrealistic demands most manufacturers and technicians place on the flawless
color, grain uniformity and defect free characteristics of the wood used to make
soundboard panels.

We're told that these specifications somehow translate into "better" tone but
solid reasons are missing. I've had more than one manufacturers rep tell me that
the color of soundboard wood affects the color of tone! I'm not entirely sure
but I think they actually believed this. We're told "tight" grain wood should be
used in the "treble." Presumably because tight grain wood is both stiffer and
heavier and this could be perceived as a benefit in the high treble. But follow
that tight grain board down and you'll see it runs right under--or at least very
close to--the bass bridge where it is not at all advantageous.

OK, I can understand why wood of uniform grain might be required for soundboards
that are crowned by pure compression. But for good and obvious reasons this
applies to fewer and fewer piano makers (and rebuilder, for that) these days.

For all the rest the soundboard panel is simply a reasonably light-weight
diaphragm supported and tied together by a rib system and a couple of bridges.
Yes, a certain amount of longitudinal stiffness is required but pretty much all
spruce of whatever variety and grade has enough longitudinal stiffness to
suffice.

As others have noted, soundboards having historically unacceptable color
variations, erratic grain, pitch flaws and minor knots are the wave--so to
speak--of the future. As we continue to chop away at the remaining stocks of
high-grade spruce trees with little of no thought of sustainably replacing them
we're going to find the cost and availability of wood with the characteristics
we've been demanding growing increasingly scarce and dear. We might as well
start getting used to using what's left.

ddf

  _____