[pianotech] Replacing Hammers on a Yamaha C5

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Mar 11 18:46:53 PDT 2009

Mike
? Well the first question is what kind of tone is desired & some one must first have an opinion as to what it should be.
? ?I know, I know...?this is a broken record but I've used predominatly Lower density hammers on?most asian pianos with enormous success. If this was a Yamaha 9 ft I would suggest Renners with Weickert special felt when they come out.This belly & string scale requires denser hammers in my experience. The smaller?pianos like this are a fine candidate for?the Wurzen AA or Weickert special.
? Dale

I was approached by a local school district about regualating their? Yamaha C5 which is in a classroom and used a minimum of 5 hours daily. The piano was new in 1978 and the hammers appear to have never been shaped. For a number of years it was kept on the stage in a closet reserved for it and used minimally. about?9 or?10 years ago it was moved to the classroom and has remained there ever since.

?

The hammers could be shaped but with the use they get would not last more than a few years and they are marginal for shaping anyway.

I checked with Yamaha, I recalled that they used to offer a fairly?low price on hammers mounted?on shanks with flanges, the current price is $1400 and change. This is a public school and price is a concern however doing the job correctly is of a deeper concern for me.

?

My concern is, putting new japanese hammers on a piano of this age, since it isn't being restrung.?For a few hundred more I could replace the shanks/flanges and replace the hammers with after market like Abels or Ronsens.

?

I fully intend to rebush keys as necessary, bolster backchecks do any other necessary repairs and regulate after the hammer replacement.?

?

My?reason for posting?is, I'm looking for feedback and suggestions?from those?who are?experienced with hammer replacement on asian pianos of or nearing this age, agree or disagree.

?

Mike

?

?

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404