[pianotech] Replacing Hammers on a Yamaha C5

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Mar 11 19:02:51 PDT 2009

You don't want to go too soft on those things or it can sound weird or
you'll have to lacquer them up which can be self defeating over time.
Still, with that much playing time on a weekly basis and a 30 year old
soundboard that I'm sure is getting to the percussive side I might consider
one of Ronsen's firmer hammers, firm it up minimally with a very dilute
lacquer solution if necessary and let it play up the rest of the way over a
couple of months.  Personally, I couldn't do the job for just a few hundred
more that what the prehung Yamaha hammer go for and one thing to consider is
that the newer Yamaha hammers aren't quite the quarried chunks of stone that
they used to be.  I helped my kids' school purchase a C7 two years ago and
the hammers are very nice, not too hard, I didn't have to voice them down at
all after the piano was delivered and even now the tone is still very nice.
Whether they will provide the newer style hammers when ordering a prehung
set for an older C5  is another matter.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com