[pianotech] #2 Soundboard Wood

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Thu Mar 12 11:01:42 PDT 2009

As I said, it matters if the soundboard assembly design depends on the internal
compression of the wood panel to develop crown. In this case it is best to have
a reasonably narrow and consistent band of earlywood.

It also matters insofar as the uneven grain characteristic affects the mass and,
to a lesser extent, the stiffness of each individual piece of wood that makes up
the soundboard panel. At least in theory. In the board sizes typical to the
average soundboard panel both of these characteristics vary less than you might
think and, in the real-world soundboard assembly, are of little or no
consequence. In a rib crowned soundboard system these variations can easily be
accommodated by the proper design of the ribs.

ddf

  _____