[pianotech] S&S action rail replacements?

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Thu Mar 12 11:48:38 PDT 2009

Unless the rail is split (Brass) then it seems that it would be a viable and
cheaper alternative to put a new dowel inside. Wrap a heat tape around the
rail and leave it for a while. That will shrink the old dowel enough to
remove it. A dried down new one should slip in nicely at which point you can
simply drill the new dowel through the holes already existing in the brass.
No need for soldering at all!

Greg Newell

Greg's Piano Forté

www.gregspianoforte.com