[pianotech] #2 Soundboard Wood

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Mar 12 18:44:36 PDT 2009

In that case...Just imagine how big this freakin tree must have been when logged
? Dale

"could it have such tight grain?"

?

Sure. Growing conditions dictate grain/annualr-ring density. Sitka Spruce is a "tolerant" tree - meaning shade-tolerant - it grows well in shady conditions. Shady conditions (or understory tree growth) are?(one of the)?common factors?that produce narrow annular rings. The heart-wood is the oldest wood - the stuff that was growing when the tree was young - and likely an understory situation (growing under the shade of other mature trees) - so it grew slowly, resulting in narrow annular rings - or "tight grain".

?

"My understanding of heart wood is that it is the middle of the tree."

?

Yes, that is correct.

?

Terry Farrell