[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Thu Mar 12 19:13:17 PDT 2009

SNIP

> I was drawn to the idea that tuners need not listen to beats at their
> specific pitch levels, since I am one the tuners who has never heard
> coincident partials at a their actual pitches.
>
> Whole sound tuning is where it's at. It is not secret knowledge. I'll be
> attempting to demonstrate next week at the Central-West Regional Seminar in
> Wichita.
>
> Kent

Kent,

Can you explain this more clearly?  I know it's been (re)hashed many times
and, recently, but, where DO you hear the coincident partials if not at
their specific pitches?  I'm more than open to learning/experiencing this
technique, and I've no doubt standing behind you (Virgil, DA, etc.) would be
far more instructive, and I intend to do that at GR if DA gets it going; but
for now, are you just listening to "everything presented" at once?  Or is it
something different, specific to partials, but with a slightly different
focus?

William R. Monroe