[pianotech] #2 Soundboard Wood

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Mar 13 04:33:25 PDT 2009

erwinspiano at aol.com wrote:
> *Ahh yes..ok, that's one mans opinion. I'll let you know how these turn
> out. Ones for an O the other for a B
>   I've had many fine sounding results with tight grain wood as well as
> others. The success of a system is in the sound. Listen to some
> Steingraebbers,Petrofs & others with tight wood. Rather impressive. Yes,
> it's many things that contribute. It _may not_ be an advantage but it
> certainly doesn't seem to be a disadvantage.

Opinion, sure, based on some detail. It depends on how the
board is designed, and the required panel compression levels.
A low compression board does very well with a low density panel.

>Sound is sound and how you
> get it is every mans perogative. In my book the beauty of the music is
> all I care about when I listen to the piano

Absolutely true, though not real informative. Good piano tone
and music don't require high grain density panels.
Ron N