[pianotech] What will I find?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Mar 13 12:20:02 PDT 2009

OK, so I went today to the family with the piano I wrote about last week, which the guy's father had "done some work on" (I had thought it was his father-in-law but it was his own Dad).

The work done by the father - who is a capabale enough woodworker to make violins, it turns out - was to have rescued the bridle tapes, by tying broken ones with some kind of thread, and doping them all with some kind of laquer to prevent futher perishing.

The chap didn't know what material his Dad had used.  Also, he told me that he had tuned the piano himself once some time ago, and it took him all day. He had used a T hammer, which was on top of the piano (see pic).  Now, I've never used a T hammer, so I was interested to find out how it would feel, and tuned a few notes with it.  Hard work, I'd think, to do the whole of that piano, a nondescript early 1920s upright with not very tight pins.  I stuck to my Fujan for most of it!

The chap turned out to be minister of one of the presbyterian churches locally, and  I had completely forgotten that I used to tune at the same address for the previous minister, now retired, who had a Steinway Vertegrand - now THAT was a piano! One of two Vertegrands  in my 'patch'.

Anyway, the pics show the father's repair work on the bridle tapes.  I suggested that if his Dad was interested to do more work, I would be happy to supply a set of tapes. The piano really isn't worth paying for my time to do it.

Best regards,

David.