[pianotech] high leverage action

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Fri Mar 13 19:46:48 PDT 2009

Re: [pianotech] high leverage action

  > I am just curious if there is any problems associated with 41mm blow distance.

  Are the hammers hitting the strings squarely?
  ***They will after I hang them.

  Over/under striking??
  ***They were bored to hit the string with shank paralell to keybed and the samples demonstrate that I bored them correct.

  You might need to shim the stack for this aspect or for the hammer bore = String Height
  minus Hammer Center Height rule (not really a rule but a good place to start).

  It sounds like low leverage to me.Where is the capstan on the wippen cushion (original wips?)
  ***The whippen cushion can be moved as they have not been glued on permanent yet. All new Tokiwa parts.

  Consider moving the capstan back, this will allow for a shallower dip and/or longer blow distance.
  **** Current measured key ratio in mm is 1.8 do you think I should try less than this?

  You could also move the capstan back far enough to move the stack back to maintain wippen ratio
  but you'd have to relocate the keyframe forwards to maintain the strike Point.  Look at how the
  shanks align over the wippen cushions to ascertain if moving the stack back will center the shanks
  over the wips better.
  ****Interesting idea, I will look at this.

  How far do you want to get into this?
  **** As this piano is my spec - I can devote as much as required. I would rather not redesign but it is not off the table of possibilities.