[pianotech] high leverage action

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Mar 13 20:08:46 PDT 2009

Sorry, I should have read back more thoroughly.  Perhaps I confused a couple
of different threads.  With that much into it it's worth going the extra
mile to figure things out.  You'll just kick yourself later if you don't.  I
think Jon Page's several bits of advice are worth considering.  Action
redesign may not be as complicated as you imagine.  Changes in elevations,
spread or a capstan line can be easily accomplished.

That being said, I'm something that on the surface seems at odds.  Deep key
dip combined with shallow blow suggests very low leverage yet the weights
you describe (low SW's, medium FW's and relatively high BWs) don't seem
consistent with that but rather with a higher leverage. Have you actually
set the regulation in the piano as opposed to on the bench to be sure that
there isn't some bedding difference that might account for the regulation
oddity here?  I would want to resolve that apparent discrepancy before I
pursued major action modifications.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com