[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Mar 13 21:30:27 PDT 2009

Or factored out.  I think we forget that when we were learning all this it
took great effort to hear "through" all the noise and focus our attention
where we needed to.  At a certain point in our skill development we became
able to switch our attention around at will.  We can be aware of other
things without being distracted from the task at hand.  Much like being in a
room with multiple conversations, you can only really hear what one person
is saying even though you hear everyone else talking.  That being said,
there is also a sense of whole tone listening that we also develop such as
learning to tune unisons "dead".  You're not really listening for beats or
any particular partials then but rather the general character when one of
the two strings disappears and they sound like one.  In short we engage in
different types of listening depending on what we are trying to accomplish
and the circumstances we find ourselves in with different pianos and varying
quality or clarity.  That is what really defines our particular skill.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

I've never understood the supposed difference. How could
anyone aurally tune without listening to everything the
creature has to offer? Doesn't it finally come down to
"minimum garbage" in too many instances in the *somewhat* less
than perfect pianos we battle, and as such, doesn't all the
extant garbage need to be factored in to whatever degree we're
able and it's willing?

Ron N