[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Mar 14 04:42:49 PDT 2009

Hi Nick.

I posted a few jpg's of resultant complex wave forms from combining
several close frequencies in a wave generator program I have. I couldn't
find the one I wanted to repost... but this one will do reasonably well.
You see inside the main beat a smaller beat of less amplitude that is
more intense in strength. This is a resultant wave or beat that comes
from the interaction of the other beats combining. It more or less shows
clearly that there is a very clear possibility that an identifiable beat
exists along the lines of what Virgil and his crowd espouse.

Lots of good stuff being written so far... I'd personally like to keep
things in the realm of reason and drop the new-age aura of some of the
posts.... :)  We don't need flashbacks to the mid 60's or get angels
involved here.

Cheers
RicB

    Quite right RE the evaluation of the sine waves.

    But whether or not they are harmonic or inharmonic isn't the
    rallying point. Fourier curves and resultants can be plotted with
    any emanation of sound be it a piano tone or a kettle drum or a
    dropped piano. Resultant waves relative to two or more sounds can
    always be plotted and don't have to line up neatly at all, nor do
    they have to be periodic. Same is true for all physical forces of
    push and pull.
    Nick