[pianotech] key position at rest

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Mar 14 15:26:55 PDT 2009

The explanation I got was as I mentioned.  The arc on which the capstan travels is such that the capstan leaning slightly forward puts it more in a line tangent to that arc.  The capstan heal contact surface is then set perpendicular to the capstan.  That creates less sliding motion, less friction and greater efficiency in terms of travel.  I suppose that means you could theoretically have an action with better mechanical advantage (leverage) and yet minimize the trade off in terms of having to increase dip or decrease blow distances to compensate.  That part is my own musing, however.  I don’t recall whether there was a detailed discussion in the archives or not on this particular issue.   The relative ratios of the key and shank were somewhat altered as well, as I recall.  The knuckle on those actions was hung, I believe, at 20mm.  It was quite a heavy hammer and an adjustable wippen assist spring was also used.  But this is digressing a bit.  I’m sure Ron will comment.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com