[pianotech] key position at rest

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Mar 14 16:12:04 PDT 2009

Hi Paul
? I believe that you are correct. I heard this idea from?Chris Robinson many years ago & have observed & used this protocol to my own satisfaction.The broad faced angled capstan actually has an accelerating effect when positioned properly.?At rest, the key side edge of the Broad faced capstan touches on the wippen felt edge furthest from the wippen center pin.?As?the capstan/wippen moves thru its rotation the capstan moves?upwards &?rotates to the middle of the capstan & then to the rear edge. SO, as it continues thru its arc, the point at which the wippen is lifted moves to the rear edge of the capstan & closer to the wippen pin thereby accelerating the key/action motion. Kind of an automatic transmission affect.Things move faster without shifting.
? This interesting anomaly?is often noticeable when doing weigh off. Observe?the key starts out slowly & then accelerates as it reaches a certain point in its arc. When viewed from the side it is possible to visually see this motion and change of capstan wippen felt contact. When set up correctly there is no sliding motion between capstan & wippen felt. It is actually a brilliant idea that has?been forgotten by those who invented it...Now who would that be...?
? Dale

?

?