[pianotech] key position at rest

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Sat Mar 14 19:11:00 PDT 2009

Right Jon,

The "standard" capstan-to-whip-heal-interface motion of the parts (beginning
from rest) follows this pattern:

1) Slide with friction, 2) then roll at magic line with no friction, 3) and
finishes with slide-friction. The indentation in a veteran whip cushion
should reveal an oval shape.

The involute slide path, supposedly described at the interface of a tipped
capstan and sloping whip heal, should roll through the complete path, hence
no friction (effectively). I have understood this to be the case for many
years, but have never verified it for myself, although I have no reason to
doubt Chris Robinson (I also took that class many years ago).

The rolling condition obtains since the force line, or line of action,
common to both the capstan and the heal runs along a tangent common to both
surfaces.  Said another way, "both contacting surfaces are always
perpendicular to the plane of contact." Relative to gears, this condition
exists as the gear teeth mesh; the teeth roll on each other without the
immense friction and wear which would otherwise exist.

Check out this link:  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Involute_gear>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Involute_gear -- has a neat animation.

Nick Gravagne, RPT

Piano Technicians Guild